Ceasefire on 'life support', Trump says, as he rejects 'stupid' Iranian peace offer
US President Donald Trump pushed back against what he called a "stupid" and "garbage" peace proposal from Iran on Monday, and told reporters at the White House that the ceasefire in place since early last month is on "life support".
Yet his administration could still secure an agreement despite repeated setbacks, he added.
"I think itβs very possible. Iβve had a deal with them four or five times; they change their mind," he said, describing Iranβs leadership as "very dishonourable".
Iran's IRNA news agency had reported earlier that the proposal submitted on 10 May included a demand for compensation, given the destruction from the 40-day US-Israeli war on the Islamic Republic, as well as recognition of Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Not long after Trump's remarks, the US Treasury announced new sanctions on 12 individuals and companies that it says have "enabled" the shipping of Iranian oil to China.
Read more: Ceasefire on 'life support', Trump says, as he rejects 'stupid' Iranian peace offer

This article was sourced from Middle East Eye.
Read Full Article on Middle East Eye β